Poison Prevention Week: Grapes & Raisins

A German Shepherd Dog (mix) is pictured with his mouth open wide for the grape his owner is extending toward him.
Grapes and raisins may be a tasty treat for us, but for dogs they can be a potentially life threatening snack.

Grapes and raisins may be a tasty treat for us, but for dogs they can be a potentially life-threatening snack. While the exact toxin has not been identified, grapes and raisins have been known to cause acute kidney failure in dogs, which can require dialysis treatment and even be fatal. 

Signs of toxicity include nausea, vomiting, not eating and lethargy.

This mystery toxin is tricky. Some dogs can eat grapes and not have any ill affects. This may be due to variables such as the type of grape, mold that grows on grapes, or even the dog’s genetic predisposition. As of now, we consider the toxic effect to be idiosyncratic. This means we cannot predict who will be affected or how severely, but we do know it can be fatal.

Since there is a risk, if you believe your pet has been snacking on any grape products, we recommend that you bring them in for an immediate evaluation.

Medical treatment to treat or prevent toxicity and help protect their kidneys will be recommended based on Poison Control guidelines.  

For more information about common toxins, signs & symptoms of toxicity, and emergency care, visit our 24/7 Emergency page.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

QUestions?

Our knowledgeable staff is available 24 hours a day and 7 days a week to answer all of your pet health-related questions. Don’t wait – Call us today!

RECENT POSTS

The Story of Snitzel

The Story of Snitzel Snitzel, an 11 year old Miniature Dachshund, presented to BRVS, Neurology Service for evaluation of acute onset of inability to use

Read More »